You hunted high and low, near and far to find the perfect daycare for your child. You’re pretty sure you did a good job and overall are pleased with your pick, but every now and then a gnawing pang of worry pops into your stomach. How can you be sure you made the right choice? Here are a few signs that tell you that you found the best daycare possible:
1. The staff calls both you and your child by your names when you arrive. And they remember to ask things like, “How was the camping trip this weekend?”
2. Your good friend, family member or trusted coworker highly recommended the place.
3. There are lots of staff member and the worker to child ratio is very high, allowing for more one-on-one attention.
4. They have one of those annoying lists of rules that prohibit things like peanuts. Although often long and sometimes irritating, those rules mean that the daycare really cares about your child’s health and safety.
5. You checked with the state and they meet all of the health and safety codes.
6. They remind you when you’re running low on diapers or let you know when your child didn’t finish eating. Communication is priceless.
7. The daycare doesn’t offer unwanted advice too often. While you want to stay in the loop and know what’s going on, you probably don’t want someone telling you how to parent.
8. Parents of the other children seem friendly and you’ve either already organized play dates or are planning to soon.
9. The daycare has a low turnover rate. That’s how you know the staff loves what they do and care about their work.
10. Your child comes back from daycare excited. Don’t worry if he or she is hesitant to go in the morning; that’s perfectly normal. But if they come home bubbly and thrilled to tell you about all the cool stuff they did, you know you’ve got a winner on your hands.
-“8 Tips for Choosing Child Care.” Parents.com
-“What Makes a Great Daycare.” Parents.com
-“Daycare Dilemmas.” Parents.com
-Photo courtesy of photo stock/freedigitalphotos.net