Top Educational Books for Tots
05 February 2013
There’s a whole list of books out there that help kids learn their numbers.
- 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo by Eric Carle explores the magic of numbers as different animals pile on the train to head to the zoo. This story is meant for kids 2-4 years old.
- Counting Kisses by Karen Katz is a cute counting book for kids ages 0-4.
- How Do Dinosaurs Count to 10? by Jane Yolen, for kids 4-7 years old, uses rhymes to help teach readers how to count to 10.
- In David Kirk’s Miss Spider’s Tea Party, for 4-6 year-olds, Miss Spider attempts to squash her neighbors’ fear of her by throwing a tea party.
ABC books like these teach children letter recognition:
- Pam Abrams’ Now I Eat My ABCs for tots 0-3 has a yummy food assigned to each letter of the alphabet. B is made of blueberries and O is an orange.
- I Spy Letters by Jean Marzolo lets 0-4 year-olds learn letters through rhyming and hand-painted letters.
- The classic Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault tells the story of a, b, c, d and e meeting at the top of a coconut tree.
Teach your little ones colors:
- Justine Smith’s Colors is filled with bright, bolds illustrations. This book is made for children 1-3.
- A kitten hunts for its favorite color in Cat’s Colors by Jane Cabrera.”Favorite
Help toddlers learn their shapes:
- Every day objects in Justine Smith’s Shapes help kids 0-2 learn shapes. Plus, the rhyming words and colorful illustrations make learning fun.
-“Educational Books for Toddlers.” Scholastic. http://www.scholastic.com/resources/article/educational-books-for-toddlers/
-“Favorite Books for Preschoolers.” Great Schools <http://www.greatschools.org/cgi-bin/showarticle/3607/>
-Photo courtesy of Stuart Miles/freedigitalphotos.net