This video with Kathleen Bryan, 4C for Children, includes information on selecting quality before and after school care as well as summer camps for school age children.
Things to consider:
Supplies and Equipment
- variety of age appropriate choices that include games, arts and crafts, sports, and dramatic play
- be aware of outdoor and indoor environment
- should have enough materials so children do not have to wait to use them
The program should be balanced by activities that are lead by adults and activities that are child initiated (i.e. opportunities for children to choose their own toys, have time to read, listen to music, talk with friends, or just hang out by themselves).
- staff should have training on how school age children learn and grow
- understand that activities should be interesting, fun, and challenging
- allow school agers to work together on projects and encourage them to solve problems
- should be role models for your school age child
- energetic while maintaining a safe environment
- should be flexible and fun